Posted January 23, 2014
5 Myths about Auto Repair
We understand what it’s like to be on the customer’s side of the counter. We’ve been there plenty of times at the doctor, dentist, or somewhere as simple as a gas station. We know what it’s like to be unsure of the service or product we are paying for.
The last thing we want is for our Fountain neighbors to feel apprehensive about auto repair and maintenance. Here are some common myths about car repair that can help you get a little more educated and provide a little more peace of mind.
- Premium and other high octane gases will make your vehicle run better. While you always need to follow the recommended level of octane your manual suggests, paying more for the higher octane gas will not make a difference in your vehicle’s performance.
- Fuel additives will help your engine. It may seem too good to be true that you can buy better gas mileage in a bottle, but that’s because it usually is. Additives are often unproven or make such a small difference that it doesn’t make up for the cost. It’s best to leave out additives and focus on your car’s essential fluids like oil.
- The gas cap is the leading cause for a ‘check engine’ light. You may have heard that the most common reason for the ‘check engine’ light to come on is because of the gas cap; however, that is simply not the case. It could be due to a number of different issues, such as the O2 sensor, spark plug, or something even more serious. Regardless of what it might be, the best option is to take your car into a trusted automotive repair shop with ASE Certified technicians.
- A dead battery only needs to charge a couple minutes. This may have been the case with older vehicles, but today’s cars depend a lot on the battery. Most of the special features of newer cars use that battery to power GPS system, TVs, chargers, seat warmers, etc. If your battery is dead, it’s a good idea to let it charge longer to make sure it has the power it needs.
- Independent automotive repair shops just want to take your money. Due to a few bad businesses and a lot of publicity, it seems like the auto repair industry has gotten a poor reputation. But like our shop, most of the independent automotive repair businesses are focused on taking care of their neighbors and their families, not ripping people off. They care about their community, reputation and employees. It is also their ethical duty to educate every person about exactly what kind of shape their vehicle is in. Doing so often leads to the customers saving money by taking care of small issues before they become big problems.
If you ever have any questions about your vehicle, are looking for gas saving tips, or if you are stranded on the side of the road, please don’t hesitate to give us a call us at (719) 382-5691. Our team of highly qualified professionals and ASE-Certified technicians are here to help. As an auto repair shop in Fountain, we hope you’ll trust us with all your automotive needs!
Categories: Auto Repair
Tags: , Myths about Auto Repair