Posted October 1, 2021
Winter is right around the corner, and before your car is bombarded with snow, sludge and cold weather, check out these tips to improve your gas mileage and help you save some money at the pump while you navigate the roads in Fountain.
1. The next time you have your oil changed, have the air filter checked. Replacing a dirty air filter with clean one can save up to 10 percent on fuel costs.
2. Check your tire pressure. Filling your tires with the recommend air pressure can increase fuel economy by as much as 3.3 percent.
3. Stay up to date with your air filter replacement. A dirty filter can easily decrease your MPG by 1-2 miles. Make sure to have our ASE-certified technicians to check the state of your air filter during your next visit.
4. Slow down on long trips. Driving at 60 mph instead of 70 can save you 2-4 gallons of gas over the duration of your trip.
5. Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo from your vehicle. An extra 100 lbs. can increase fuel consumption by 1-2%. That can add up with the rise in gas prices.
6. Use cruise control. It can be tough in the city, but when you hit the open road, cruise control will keep your car at a constant speed and avoid any unnecessary acceleration that can waste gas.
One of the easiest ways to make sure you maximize your gas mileage is to stay up to date with your preventive maintenance needs. Our ASE-Certified technicians at Book’s Automotive are more than happy inspect your vehicle and help you understand what you can do to you improve your MPGs. Stop by our auto repair shop in Fountain or call us at (719) 382-5691 to set up an appointment today!
Previous Post « Debunking Auto Repair Myths