Posted April 1, 2020
Changing your vehicle’s oil is one of the most basic services your can have performed and also one of the most important. Here are a few oil change factoids to consider during National Car Care Month:
• Many people overlook checking the oil level in their car and just think they have to change it every 3,000 miles…if they even do that
• Many people erroneously think that it can wait an extra 500, 1000, sometimes as much as 5000 EXTRA miles ON TOP of the designed 3000
• Oil is one of the most critical fluids to keep well maintained and full at ALL times
• It is a cleaner AND a lubricant
• As a cleaner, it removes SLUDGE and DIRT and maintains the designed clearances (accurate to THOUSANDTHS of an INCH)
• As a lubricant, it keeps a protective layer between the hundreds of moving parts that can spin as fast as 5,000-6,000+ times every MINUTE!
• Oil can only clean so much before becoming saturated, thus the 3,000 mile interval to replace it
• Oil, in theory, will never lose its lubricating qualities, but when sludge build-up becomes excessive, the oil can no longer flow where it needs to, increasing heat AND the risk of burning up your engine
To learn more about your oil or anything else pertaining to your vehicle’s health, contact us online or call us at 719-382-5691 – our ASE-certified technicians are always available to discuss any and all things automotive!